Fashion trend – Smoothie Bowl (Smoothie bowl)
It is a thick drink that is eaten rather than drunk. It is prepared from berries, fruits, vegetables mixed with a blender with the addition of ice, juice, milk and, sometimes, sugar (or better – its useful equivalents) or honey.
The smoothie preserves all the fiber and vitamins of its ingredients and is part of the diet not only of vegetarians, but also of all people leading a healthy lifestyle. It also contains a lot of vitamins and antioxidants, energizes, can be part of sports nutrition.
Smoothies are also an element of color therapy.
An unusual and bright combination, quite a suitable component of a good breakfast and a bright start to the day. Smoothie Bowl is from the most delicious and healthy smoothie, but it is not drunk, but poured into a bowl, decorated with nutritious topping and eaten with a spoon, its texture is thicker.
In the East, bowls have long gained popularity, where it is considered a trend in healthy eating and is called the “Buddha Bowl“. Legend has it that the Buddha always took food from a small bowl. He usually did this after meditation, and food was served to him in a bowl by passers-by (among Buddhists, by the way, this practice is still common).
Due to the fact that food was usually shared only by the poor, very simple foods were most often found in the Buddha’s bowl: rice, beans and curry. This, in fact, is the basis of the “Buddha Bowl” nutrition system: a portion of a meal should be small and as simple as possible.
Initially, bowls were common among vegans, who put whole-grain porridges, vegetables and vegetable proteins in a deep plate. It was this set of products that was offered to be consumed at a time.
Rumors about the bowl quickly spread across the Internet, conquering hipsters and food bloggers. Everyone began to share their options for cooking healthy breakfasts, lunches and dinners. Most often, the plates were garnished with rice, barley, millet, corn or quinoa, protein in the form of beans, peas or tofu, as well as vegetables – both raw and boiled.
For cooking, you will need: a blender, your favorite large bowl, and a lot of fruits with vegetables, herbs, seeds, berries, fruits, cereals, nuts, flowers, dried fruits, coconut chips and other secrets that you will add to your Smoothie Bowl, because this is a great reason for creativity! There are also vegetable bowls, here everything depends only on your mood, taste preferences and your imagination. The components are pre-washed, sorted and cleaned. Then the berries, vegetables and fruits cut into pieces are mashed in a blender without adding liquid. And as a final accent, your favorite sprinkle acts!
The composition of vitamins, trace elements and other useful substances of your “smoothie bowl” depends on the ingredients you choose. Do not forget about toning supplements – ginseng, rhodiola, guarana, matcha, spirulina, etc. Be slim, healthy and beautiful!
When preparing a smoothie bowl, it is important to remember that the base should be thicker than a regular smoothie so that the topping does not drown in it. Therefore, it should be prepared from fruits that have a lot of pulp— for example, banana, melon or peach. The basis of a healthy bowl can be anything: fruit or vegetable puree, chia seed pudding, Greek yogurt, and cereals (quinoa with poached egg and vegetables will make a hearty “male” bowl, and oatmeal or biher muesli is an option for a sweet tooth). The basics of the bowl can be combined and added to smoothies, for example, muesli or chia pudding.
Berries and fruits are often taken frozen. Use as much frozen fruit as possible, then you get the perfect creamy consistency, and you won’t need to add a lot of ice. It tastes like ice cream, but only in a state of “a little melted”. For example, frozen bananas. You can peel ripe bananas from the skin, cut into circles, put them in a container with a lid, and put them in the freezer overnight. In the morning, you can already prepare a healthy smoothie bowl for breakfast from them. If you are against freezing fruit, then use a fresh banana as a base. It will create the necessary consistency of the dish: creamy, not spreading over the plate.
Do not pour a lot of liquid. You can do without liquid at all for the thick part.
Also, the base can be additionally thickened — for example, soaked with chia seeds or flax, you can add various useful and natural powders for color, for example, spirulina powder (one of the most nutritious additives with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties), it will give your dish an exotic blue hue. After all, the brighter and more unusual the colors of the smoothie bowl, the more interesting – agree, there is something of color therapy in them. Do not forget about toning supplements – ginseng, rhodiola, guarana. Add cereals, shavings of nuts.
- Milk (can be soy)
- Nut milk (almond, coconut).
- Water (coconut, for example).
- Freshly squeezed juice
The dish should be thick and easy to eat with a spoon. If the blender turns the loaded ingredients into cream without adding liquid, then leave everything as it turned out and pour it into a plate.
Topping can be given special attention:
- you can stand a smoothie bowl in one color scheme — for example, in red, green or yellow shades,
- contrasting decoration options are also popular, when 2-3 colors are taken as a basis,
- you can create a rainbow on a plate by laying out sliced fruits and berries in rows or in a spiral,
- or decorate a smoothie with a berry pattern – for example, an asterisk,
- you can put fruit and berry topping on one side of the bowl, and smoothies on the other side decorate with a pattern of cream or yogurt,
- nuts, finely chopped dried fruits and granola, various superfoods and additives are great for topping.
- honey, syrups of dates, agave, jerusalem artichoke, maple can be used as natural sweeteners.
10 delicious reasons to eat smoothies
- You can’t start the day without breakfast, the smoothie bowl activates the metabolism
- By eating smoothies, you enrich your diet with fruits and vegetables
- Smoothies contain a lot of vitamins and antioxidants
- The drink energizes for most of the day,
- The dish is not subjected to heat treatment, so the products retain useful properties
- Easy cooking process and light sensations after use
- Numerous variations of recipes
- Delicious and healthy dish
- You can enjoy it at any time of the day
- Element of color therapy
Don’t be afraid to experiment, mix the components. It is allowed to add any products to smoothies. According to the recommendations of nutritionists, vegetable smoothies from pumpkin, carrot, celery should be present in the diet.
For lovers of everything aesthetic and natural, there are special bowls for the smoothie bowl, which are made from coconut and polished with vegetable oil. It turns out to be a whole work of art, very aesthetic and pleasant both tactile and for the joy of the eyes.
Smoothie Bowl Recipes
Refreshing, bright and incredibly gentle.
Berry sourness is perfectly combined with the sweetness of bananas, and toppings complement the fruit base with nutrients. This breakfast has everything you need for cheerfulness: healthy fats, several types of amino acids, healthy carbohydrates and a lot of vitamins.
Ingredients for the base (for 1 large serving or 2 medium):
- 160 g mix of fresh or frozen berries
- 2 medium frozen bananas
- 45 ml almond milk
- 1 tbsp coconut chips
- 1 tbsp. l. chia seeds (they can be soaked in advance so that they swell)
- 1 tbsp. l. hemp seeds
- fruits and berries to choose from
- We put frozen bananas and berries in a blender. Beat until smooth consistency at low speed.
- Add vegetable milk and whisk again.
- We put them on plates and decorate them with toppings.
- Enjoy it!
Green smoothie bowl for vivacity and radiant skin, improving the “breathing” of cells.
Ingredients for the base (for 1 large serving or 2 medium):
- 1/4 ripe avocado
- 2 frozen bananas
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup of fresh kale
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- homemade granola
- blueberry berries
- Put all the ingredients for the base in a blender and whisk at a slow speed until smooth. It is necessary that the pieces of greenery disappear and get an even green color.
- We try and, if necessary, add natural dates or bananas for sweetness.
- We put them on plates and sprinkle with toppings.
- Enjoy it!
Bowl with buckwheat, mushrooms and vegetables for dinner
- brussels sprouts
- vegetable oil
- salt, pepper
Buckwheat is filled with water in a ratio of 1 to 2, put on the stove and cook until ready, or brew overnight, you can use green buckwheat. In the finished cereal, add salt and pepper to taste, butter or coconut oil and mix well. Brussels sprouts are lowered into boiling salted water for 5 minutes, after which we immediately throw them into a colander. Mushrooms are coarsely cut, salt, pepper and fried in a small amount of vegetable oil, you can also bake mushrooms in the oven. We put all the ingredients in a deep bowl, add chopped tomatoes and serve, you can also fill with various vegetable toppings and greens to taste.
You can always create your own variations on the rest of any smoothie bowl.