Among a large number of different biologically active additives, Omega-3 occupies a well-deserved position of a leader. This dietary supplement is necessary for pregnant women, children, athletes, losing weight, women who strive to preserve their beauty and youth, as well as the elderly.
Not so long ago, preparations with Omega-3 (salmon oil, krill oil, herring, etc.) became widespread among dog and cat lovers. The results, which were not always clearly visible in humans, were clearly demonstrated by the pets. Shiny coat, lack of dandruff, thicker undercoat, less brittle or flaky claws (in dogs that had problems with this) – such photos “before” and “after” the Omega course admission are full of the Internet. A sufficient demonstration of the visual results from the use of the additive, which dispelled the doubts of many skeptics. This effect is confirmed by the study of the effects of various sources of Omega-3, fish oil, krill oil and mussels with green lips against cytokine-mediated degradation of canine cartilage.
One of the important features of dietary supplements with Omega-3 are recommendations for the course of taking the drug. In fact, you can drink Omega all year round, without a break.
What is the best way to combine it with to get the maximum effect?
Omega-3 and her best friends
Among the Omega-3 companion nutrients, I would like to mention collagen in particular. Some pharmaceutical companies produce supplements that already have this combination, but we would recommend purchasing two separate products. Firstly, Omega-3 has an oil form, and high–quality collagen has a powder form. To get the maximum benefit from collagen, you need to choose the right dosage (from 5000 mg to 10000 mg) and prepare a collagen drink in the morning on an empty stomach. For better absorption, collagen should be combined with vitamin C. How to fit it all in one capsule or tablet with Omega-3 without loss of quality and effectiveness is a big question. So just buy two different packs and take these supplements in the morning together, or Omega-3 during the day, along with food.
Vitamin D3 and Omega-3 are a wonderful combination. At the same time, Omega improves the absorption of vitamin D3, but does not lead to an excess of dosages, as if you take fish oil. Omega-3 is also perfectly combined with vitamin K2, which is known to have a beneficial effect on the absorption of D3.
Attention: polyunsaturated fatty acids are better absorbed in the presence of vitamins B and D.
At the mention of this duo, many may have thought about adding calcium to the complex. And this is a great solution!Omega-3 improves the absorption of calcium, ensuring the transport of this mineral through cell membranes.
It is also perfectly combined with coenzyme Q10, lecithin, fat-soluble vitamins A and E, as well as B vitamins and vitamin C.
But it is better not to take Omega-3 together with iron, copper and chromium.
How to choose dietary supplements with Omega-3?
- Source of raw materials. If possible, it is necessary to know not only from which parts and which fish the raw materials are taken, but also who the manufacturing country is.
- Concentration of active substances: directly Omega-3, as well as DHA and EPA. In one capsule, the permissible concentration level of Omega-3 is at least 900-1000 mg, DHA and EPA – at least 300 mg.
- Ideally, vitamin E should be used as a preservative (it is also referred to as “tocopherol” or “tocopherol mixture”).
- The product should not contain any additional additives. Except that in the children’s Omega, small deviations in the form of flavoring additives are allowed, so that the kids eat healthy capsules without whims and with pleasure.
- The format is ideal if in capsules. In liquid form, there is a high risk of getting an oxidized product, which, unfortunately, will lose some of its properties.
How to take Omega-3 correctly?
Omega-3 should be taken separately from minerals with which it is poorly compatible (we wrote about this above). The optimal time of reception is the first half of the day, half an hour after eating. You can also combine Omega-3 with a morning intake of collagen supplements.
The duration of the course can be as long as 3-6 months, and have no restrictions. Omega-3 is one of the few supplements that makes sense to drink all year round.
Of course, the lack of Omega-3 in the diet is a marker that it is necessary to adjust the diet, but not everyone can find high-quality fish and introduce it into the diet on a regular basis, so dietary supplements in this case are the best alternative.
Contraindications for taking Omega-3
It is undesirable to take Omega-3 if you are undergoing medication. This rule generally applies to any dietary supplements that have not been prescribed by a therapist who also prescribed medications.
Omega-3 is not recommended in the following cases:
- Allergic reactions to seafood.
- Children under 3 years old.
- Individual intolerance to the substances that make up the medicine.
- Liver diseases.
- Various pathologies of the gastrointestinal tract in the acute or chronic period.
- Postoperative time.
For those who are undergoing rehabilitation after surgery or have injuries of various etiologies, we recommend consulting with a doctor before starting or resuming Omega-3 intake.